Calculate your BMI or Body Mass Index with the BMI Calculator below
how to test your bmi
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a measure of body weight relative to height that is commonly used to assess and monitor weight status. BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of their height in meters.
For example, a person who is 1.8 meters tall and weighs 70 kilograms would have a BMI of 21.6 (70 / (1.8 x 1.8)).
BMI is a useful tool for assessing and monitoring weight status because it takes into account both weight and height, which are important factors in determining overall health.
BMI is used by healthcare professionals to determine if a person is underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese. The following categories are commonly used to interpret BMI results:
Underweight: BMI < 18.5
Normal weight: BMI 18.5-24.9
Overweight: BMI 25-29.9
Obese: BMI ≥ 30
While BMI is a useful tool, it is important to note that it is not a perfect indicator of health.
For example, athletes and bodybuilders may have a higher BMI due to increased muscle mass, which does not necessarily indicate that they are overweight or unhealthy.
Additionally, BMI does not take into account other factors that can affect health, such as age, gender, and muscle mass.
Despite its limitations, BMI can be a useful tool for assessing and monitoring weight status.
By tracking changes in BMI over time, individuals can identify trends and make changes to their diet and exercise habits to improve their health. It is important to note, however, that BMI should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice.
To calculate your BMI, you can use the BMI calculator on our website. Simply enter your height and weight, and the calculator will provide you with your BMI score and weight category. If you are concerned about your weight or health, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice and recommendations.
In addition to BMI, there are other measures of body weight and composition that can be useful for assessing health and monitoring changes over time. These include body fat percentage, waist circumference, and skinfold thickness. Your healthcare professional can help you determine which measures are most appropriate for your individual needs and goals.
In conclusion, BMI is a useful tool for assessing and monitoring weight status. By using the BMI calculator on our website and tracking changes over time, individuals can make informed decisions about their diet and exercise habits to improve their health. It is important to remember, however, that BMI is just one of many factors that contribute to overall health, and should be used in conjunction with other measures and professional medical advice.
BMI: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is BMI and what does it mean to be overweight according to BMI?
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on an individual’s height and weight. BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight (in kilograms) by their height squared (in meters). According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight, and a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese. However, BMI is just one measure of body fat and may not always be accurate, especially for athletes or those with a lot of muscle mass.
What is the most obese country in the world?
According to a 2021 report by the World Population Review, Nauru is the most obese country in the world, with an obesity rate of 61.4%. Other countries with high obesity rates include Cook Islands, Palau, Marshall Islands, and Tuvalu.
What is the BMI test?
The BMI test is a simple and easy-to-use tool that measures body fat based on a person’s height and weight. To calculate BMI, divide weight in kilograms by height in meters squared. The resulting number indicates the amount of body fat a person has relative to their height and weight.
What is the normal BMI for a woman?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a normal BMI for a woman is between 18.5 and 24.9. However, this range may vary depending on age, ethnicity, and other factors.
What is the healthy BMI range?
The healthy BMI range is typically between 18.5 and 24.9, according to the WHO. However, some studies suggest that a BMI between 20 and 25 may be the healthiest range, as it is associated with a lower risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
What is the BMI used for?
BMI is used as a screening tool to identify potential weight-related health problems in individuals. It is often used by doctors and other healthcare professionals to assess a person’s risk of developing certain diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
What is the best BMI?
There is no single “best” BMI, as what is considered a healthy BMI can vary depending on a person’s age, sex, and other factors. However, a BMI in the range of 20 to 25 is generally considered healthy for most adults.
What is the BMI formula?
The BMI formula is weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. The formula is as follows: BMI = weight (kg) / height² (m²).
What is the healthiest BMI?
The healthiest BMI may vary depending on the individual, but a BMI between 20 and 25 is generally considered healthy for most adults. However, other factors such as muscle mass, body composition, and overall health should also be taken into consideration when determining what is a healthy BMI for a specific individual.
Concerned about your BMI ? This is what can help you.
There are several programs that can help people concerned about their BMI. Here are a few examples:
- MyFitnessPal: This free app allows you to track your calories, exercise, and weight loss progress, making it easier to stay on top of your diet and fitness goals.
- Noom: This weight loss program uses a personalized approach, providing users with a virtual coach, support groups, and educational resources to help them make sustainable lifestyle changes.
- Weight Watchers: This popular program offers a points-based system that assigns values to different foods and encourages healthy eating and exercise habits.
- Fitbit: This fitness tracker can help you monitor your daily activity levels, including steps taken, calories burned, and sleep quality, helping you stay on track with your fitness goals.
- Jenny Craig: This program provides personalized meal plans, coaching, and support to help individuals achieve their weight loss goals.
- WW (formerly Weight Watchers): This program provides users with a comprehensive approach to weight loss, including food tracking, community support, and coaching.
- Nutrisystem: This meal delivery service provides users with pre-made, healthy meals to help them lose weight and improve their overall health.
- MyPlate by Livestrong: This app provides users with personalized meal plans, recipes, and tips to help them maintain a healthy diet.
- Lose It!: This app provides users with a comprehensive weight loss program, including calorie tracking, goal setting, and personalized coaching.
- Aaptiv: This app provides users with personalized fitness coaching and workouts that can be done from the comfort of their own home, making it easier to stay active and maintain a healthy weight.